TOP FIVE SOURCES OF NEWS AND INFORMATION


 When it comes to news, there are so many different outlets and ways to familiarize oneself with the current happenings. There are plenty of outlets that promote biased news reporting, depending on where the host company stands politically. Because of this, I try to always put myself in a spot where I can read the most unbiased news possible. These are the top five sources I receive my news from.


1. GroundNews

GroundNews is a site and an Instagram account which presents their news in a way I’ve never seen anywhere else. GroundNews posts a story, then links as many news stories on the topic as there are out there. They filter these stories based on the outlet that posts them, and categorizes them based on their political bias. After this, they show the percentage of what political sides post the story (70% left, 20% center, 10% right etc.) which allows political blindspots on certain sites not to go unnoticed. GroundNews is the most unbiased news source I’ve ever seen, as they use other news sources to show how topics are being reported.


2. Twitter

Twitter is one of the best places to receive news, as everything is real-time, updated quicker than any specific site. I use Twitter for a majority of my news in all aspects, including sports, politics, and so much more. Twitter has ramped up over the past decade more than any other social media site in the aspect of news. If I’m interested in being updated on an ongoing or breaking situation as it is going on, Twitter is the best site to turn to.


3. News 12 Westchester

News 12 Westchester is the local news station for my home county. While I don’t tend to watch the news on TV too often, News 12 Westchester allows an inside look on some of my local stories that I wouldn’t be able to see on national newscasts. Since it is a local station, it tends to stray away from bias and political expression in general, which allows the network to keep viewers content on both sides of the political spectrum.


4. TikTok

While TikTok is mostly used as a laid-back social media application rather than a news outlet, I have received much more news than I would expect to from the app. There are many accounts that show up on my algorithm discussing and relating to news and current events, and having a comment section allows users to see the support or backlash a certain topic or outlet can receive. I have learned of major news stories through TikTok videos, and I’m sure that trend will continue as I keep using the app.


5. Politico

While I don’t use Politico often, I believe it is one of the less biased news sources out there. Created by writers who left the Washington Post, Politico is quick to update their Twitter feed with the stories they put out. They occasionally will lean to a specific side in their stories, depending on the writer. Because of this, I don’t use them too often. However, I will occasionally check out their site and their Twitter to see if there’s anything there that I haven’t seen yet.


Comments

Popular Posts